Monday 6 March 2017

Frugal weekend

Saturday bought two jumble sales , One in the morning and one in the afternoon but not much time in between so we took  sandwich of leftover chicken and stuffing 






The jumbles were really good for clothes for my stall and we had a good drying day yesterday so it was all washed and pegged outside to dry .

I picked up this shampoo and conditioner for 50p , Its huge ,twice or maybe three times what i usually buy from poundland but then again  in poundland's things are shrinking all the time.



 All i needed shopping wise was fresh veg and found these two in morrisons for much less than the usual prices.  The cauliflower was 54p , The cabbage was even less.




Then i did some frugal baking.





I have  favorite recipe that i use over and over again  its a one stage sponge mix this is what i made with it this weekend   






I use the same mix for anything that requires a sponge base , Last week i made madeleines ( I forgot to photograph them )
The week before chocolate chip muffins.  



I have  used it for christmas fancises 

Then of course the classic sandwich cakes. 





You just adjust the milk to compensate for dry ingredients like coco or coconut.


8 oz SR Flour.
6oz butter ( soften on defrost in the microwave until it resembles soft margarine).
6 oz of sugar.
3 eggs.
1 &1/2 teaspoons of baking powder 
vanilla essence.  
3 tablespoons of milk unless adding more dry ingredients for variation.
Place everything in a mixer and mix until light and fluffy , Taking care  not to overbeat , You can do it by hand too but its easier for me doing it this way
I like this better than a classic victoria mix , Its lighter and more versatile 
 Bake on gas no 4 until golden brown , Sorry i dont time my cakes i have an ability to smell a cooked bake.



I also picked up some beautiful embroidery  at the jumble sale.














XXXX


4 comments:

  1. Didn't you do well!

    I love your cakes - I was dribbling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol , Thanks Veronica , I have to control myself with eating them lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good weekend at the jumbles.
    That peach cake looks very yummy:) -x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those kingfishers! Takes me back to India! xxx

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your message , Shabby