Monday 25 April 2016

Kitchen RE vamp & good health news

This re vamp was initially about just painting the kitchen as the duck egg blue was fading and where the knots were on the tongue and grove its was turning an orange colour.
 In the process i was trying to make the kitchen a more practical space to work in because of it being small.
I needed more cupboard space so that everything doesn't have to be piled on top of each other , I would love space for some free standing painted furniture especially a 1950s larder cupboard but its just not possible with  the limited space
.
The solution was to spend some money ( I know, me ,lol) 
Usually i wait until i can find what i am after at a jumble sale or car boot but after trying for months to find storage jars with no success i bought these.



By doing this i freed up space in two cupboards.


I bought some new fabric from ikea to make a new cafe  curtain and some shelf trim.
Total re vamp including paint less than £100.

What do you think , Its a bit darker than the duck egg blue but i love it.








Its not this dark, For some reason i cant get the light right on this one.



The good news health wise is that finally i have been successfully treated for one of my health issues ,
 If you dont know already i have sleep Apnoea and have been telling  doctors that its not just that that wakes me up constantly during the night ,
 They even said because the mask treatment reduced my apnoea  and had been reduced from stopping breathing from 39 times per hour to eight it was treated , 
They use overnight sleep studies wich you wear a monitor at home.
 The problem with this is it takes an average reading wich is not entirely accurate.
There are two types of sleep apnoea central and obstructive , I have both the central is caused by an underlying condition which is the one that has been successfully treated as it was problems with my heart that was causing it.
 The medication has almost stopped this part on the apnoea meaning i am sleeping really well  and waking up earlier feeling refreshed.
 The obstructive sleep apnoea can be weight related ( not always) so i am dealing with that at the moment , It would be nice to eliminate it completely, 

Some of my latest vintage finds.







XXXX

26 comments:

  1. When you first painted your kitchen I thought it looked lovely, but now I think it is fabulous! Who would have thought that grey could be lighter than blue, but it is. I also like the jars idea, I also do this when I can as I have an odd shaped kitchen, just as much of a pain as small ones. The worse kitchen I ever had was a galley one when I lived in London. Heavily pregnant with my third child I was baking mince pies when two children rushing by me managed to take all the lids of the mince pies and the mincemeat burnt my hands. ( I had also forgotten to wet the edges). Horrible kitchen. So pleased that you have been diagnosed and cured of one part of your sleep apnoea, wearing CPAP is no fun at all. Things are looking up for you, take care. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andie , Glad you like it , I think it looks more classy Than the blue , I'me with you with the galley kitchen we had one a few years and i could never get organised ,Although this kitchen is smaller than my old kitchen it works well, The mask i have got used to now but the marks it leaves on my face up until lunchtime every day i haven't xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks lovely. The perfect colour.

    Good to hear that you are getting sorted with your health problems-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. O am dying of envy here..its bloody gorgeous..well done you.
    So glad your sleep problems are being sorted.
    One step at a time babe.
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news on the health front x

    I love your kitchen I love the splashes of red, and jars, well I just have a thing for jars I just love them xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to say is that 2 slow cookers you have x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Yes i have two as i dont like pearl barley and prefer red and green lentils and dave likes pearl barley , so we have stew for tea and the surplus we be frozen xxx

      Delete
  7. It's really lovely.
    My cupboards need repainting to freshen them up, but they'll have to wait until I have a bit more energy (if that ever happens).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Scarlet ,I wish i could wave a magic wand for you , So you have better health xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous and makes a real impact. A wonderful backdrop for all your pretty bits and pieces. Well done. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks vix , Its a bit more practical too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great job, I love the colour. The edging on the shelves look amazing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shabby it looks really eclectic and chic at the same time. I have a galley kitchen and its far too small so much so a lot of my equipment is stored in my two Pine Welsh Dressers in the Dining room. One of those Dressers stores loads of glass storage jars with bits and bobs in on the shelves and on the top - all because my pantry is not big enough either. But at least I have one. I am glad you are getting sorted on the health front. My friend suffers from sleep apnoea - hers turned out to be the weight related. She was always a lot bigger than me as a youngster but since being diagnosed she has gone on to lose no end and it has brought the problem completely under control.Fingers crossed. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia , Thanks , I have to have everything in reach because of health issues , Wish i had the space to even have a dresser as i love them but i haven't , Great news about your friend , Like you said fingers crossed , As of tonight's weigh in 6 lb loss so far xxx

      Delete
  13. Your kitchen is so beautiful, and yet practical! I just love it. Years ago when I was a little girl I persuaded my mother to paint our kitchen - well, it was little more than a scullery - in blue and red and it reminds me of that, only much nicer, more than 60 years on! I love it. Also glad your health issues are improving.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret , Hoping i can beat this apnoea completely xxx

      Delete
  14. So much to love in this post...love the kitchen,love the colours ,love your finds, and best of love that you are feeling better xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks meg , Weight is coming of too 6 Ib at the moment x

      Delete
  15. The kitchen looks beautiful. I am glad that finally you have some answers regarding your health issues. Good to hear you hand been sleeping better. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks leisha , Its amazing how much more energy i have xxx

      Delete
  16. It looks lovely.

    Glad to hear your sleep apnoea is improving too.

    Brilliant vintage finds, I can't wait for our car boot sale season to get underway, I'm feeling the needs to rummage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sue , Just wish there were some afternoon boot sales xxx

      Delete
  17. Good news about the health issue and glad you are sleeping better. MY OH was tested for this as he snores terribly - he was hooked up to a machine overnight but he doesn't have it...he's still snoring - lol!

    Your kitchen looks lovely. It's very Scandinavian looking with the red and the blue. I love the little storage contraption(? I think that's what is - not clear exactly from the photo) beside your table - is it for table mats? If so what a clever idea. You have to be very creative with a small kitchen!!!

    Veronica
    vronni60s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks veronica , The little storage box , my husband made me years ago when he was well enough to make thins ,its been everywhere around the house for different uses , at the moment it houses all my medication before that i used it for hats an gloves in the hall xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks beautiful! I am so obsessed with jars right now! I love how edgy they look especially in the kitchen. Today I bought a plaque with a bottle opener and jar to catch the bottle tops in from Uniqueetchic.com literally obsessed! X

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your message , Shabby