Sunday 13 December 2015

Where do you get your inspiration from

This is not a Christmassy post (dont know if that's how its spelt lol) just one for the new year as although i love christmas i always have a plan for the new year

 Firstly i am going to try and deal in Jewellery if its possible i dont know yet if it will be but first experiments have worked out well .

It wasn't near christmas when i sold it so at least i know its not seasonal  , Just costume and low value jewellery.

 The reason being its smaller to handle and my stockroom is constantly  getting messy.

 The stock i have been selling has taken up so much space but gradually i have sold stock and not replaced it so now we have a room that will be a spare bedroom.

My  my built in cupboards will house the smaller selection of stock i will turn over before i buy more.




So this is the before picture 







 Some things that i will be using 

The mannequin bought from a car boot for £5.00




Vintage suitcases £18.00 for the two at an auction.



And a pretty basket on legs came with a job lot of linen i bought.



And there are lots of decorative items in this cupboard. 





The aim is to complete the room with as little money as possible and as i want to include a day bed this is going to be a difficult challenge.


Back to the question, Do you create your own style like me or what do you use for inspiration.


I have been trying to explain to my hubby  the look i am trying to achieve and had to buy a book to explain it as i want a cottagey look but made with things we already have so it doesn't cost a lot .

 Did you see the Tv Series Money for nothing , presented by Sarah More well i wasn't a fan of all the modern metal stuff , Its just not my style but the patchwork fabric sofa and some of the more cottagey pieces were amazing,  I am planning to revamp my two seater sofa in a patchwork style when i have collected enough fabric.
 Mind you she sold the unusual pieces for good money.

She is working on a new series at the moment , She sources free items from council tips to revamp.

So i bought her book of Amazon.

Now he understands.


Today has been dark and dismal so comfort food has been on the menu for tea, Sponge puddings, Baked in the oven not steamed.
This was all made out of my store cupboard ingredients , Very frugal and filling , The spare will be frozen for next time we want a pudding and i dont want to cook.






Mmmmm

8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the room. Try freecycle, you might get lucky for a day bed or bed that can be adapted. Love the mannequin and a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my dressing table from freecycle in our bedroom but have not had much look with anything else , I was very suspicious about our local site when i listed something and within seconds somebody asked for it and it had not been posted so i dont hold much hope but i will definitely try xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your style so I am confident you will decorate this room stylishly and frugally. I'm with you I'm not into the modern look at all. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago I got inspiration from decorating books from the library and magazines. I would go through and look at all the pictures and say whether I loved or hated the pictures. A lot would be just "hmm...ok". Then I would go back and try to work out why I loved or hated them. I'd look at the old junk I had and gradually worked to improve or change what I had. One example is that we got a piece of furniture that had damaged veneer on the top, which was why we could afford it, so I bought lacy cloths from charity shops to cover the damage. 20 or 30 years later, I still cover my furniture with lacy cloths because I fell in love with the look! I also worked with what I had; decent carpet was kept and then I worked round it. If the suite was a horrible colour (70's browns in 1990) I bought old cream curtains and covered it up. I tend to rarely change colours because it costs money! You have some lovely vintage pieces like the basket on legs that really make a room. Although I love colour on the walls, neutral walls with all colours in vintage fabrics, curtains and bits and pieces always looks great. I rarely comment but I enjoy seeing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lacy cloths and vintage tablecloths , In my kitchen i use the cloths on my shelves , I do change colours but not very often and as everything else i use to dress a room comes from charity shops and car boots its not as expensive , The other thing i do to save money is buy paint when i see it reduced drastically in B & Q and mix it with other colours to get the desired colour i like , Like you though i try and work with what we have first xxx

      Delete
  5. Your room has a nice feel about it , funny how I can pick that up over the internet ! It is going to be lovely .Good Luck for your business in the coming new year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks debs , I am looking forward to not having to maul big boxes as it plays havoc with my health xxx

      Delete

thank you for your message , Shabby